New MGA: Developer Levies 101 Webinar-on-Demand
January 1, 2020 @ 8:00 am - December 31, 2020 @ 11:30 pm| $175 – $200
GFOA Alberta, in cooperation with Bloom Centre for Municipal Education, is proud to bring back the 10-Part Webinar Series for 2019 as “Webinars-on-Demand”.
Learn the basic fundamentals for land development in Municipalities! The New MGA: Developer Levies 101 Webinar “demystifies” the basic fundamentals of municipal land management for the non-land use professional. One of the most important responsibilities of municipal government is the responsible and effective management of land. Land use planning is an essential competency for any municipality’s long term sustainability! This webinar will cover the basic fundamentals of municipal land management with a special focus on the new MGA and off-site development charges. Special focus on the new MGA and offsite development charges highlighting financial opportunity and risk associated with land development.
Having a fundamental understanding of how land plays a role in the business of municipal government is essential for elected officials, CAO’s, planners, and finance officers. The New MGA: Developer Levies 101 Webinar offers the following:
- Relationship of the business of land development and municipalities (development business explained)
- Overview of statutory plans. What they? What are their purpose?
- Roles and responsibility in land use planning. Council, administration, finance
- Municipal Development Plan (MDP). Basic purpose, legislation.
- Area structure plan (ASP). Basic purpose.
- Land Use Bylaw. Purpose Concept – permitted and discretionary use.
- New MGA offsite development charges explained. Allowable infrastructure.
- Offsite Levies defined. Offsite vs. onsite infrastructure. Determining developer responsibility for infrastructure.
- Math behind development charges explained. Calculating development charges. Inputs required. Capital, debt charges, inflation and land base.
- Development risks. How to identify, measure and communicate risk effectively with Council and the Public.
- Offsite levy bylaw. Structure, inputs, levy collections.
- Basic accounting for levies.
- Communication with the public. transparency and accountability.
This “webinar-on-demand” option offers the convenience of anytime viewing. A password will be provided for access upon successful registration and will be valid for 60 days from date of purchase.
You can either register for this “Single Webinar-on-Demand” for $175 here, or choose to register for the full 10-Part Webinar Series below:
- 10-Part Webinar-on-Demand Series for 2019 for $1,500: https://www.gfoa.ab.ca/event/10-part-on-demand-2019-webinar-series/ (savings of $25/webinar)